The National Technical Information Service (NTIS) established a certification program for those seeking access to the Limited Access Death Master File (LADMF) pursuant to Section 203 of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013 (Pub. L. 113-67). Section 203 requires that NTIS charge fees sufficient to cover the costs associated with the certification program. The final rule, which supersedes and replaces the interim final rule previously in effect, was published in the Federal Register on June 1, 2016, and became effective November 28, 2016. The notice announcing the final rule may be viewed at https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-06-01/html/2016-12479.htm.
The certification program established under the final rule limits access to LADMF information to those persons certified under the program. Certified persons, also called Subscribers, must have a legitimate fraud prevention interest, or have a legitimate business purpose pursuant to a law, governmental rule, regulation, or fiduciary duty in order to be certified under the program. To access the LADMF, you must:
- Review the sample certification form at https://classic.ntis.gov/assets/pdf/subscribercertificationform-FM161.pdf and the sample attestation forms at http://classic.ntis.gov/assets/pdf/attestationform-FM100A.pdf and http://classic.ntis.gov/assets/pdf/attestationform-FM100B.pdf to make sure you qualify to be certified before you pay the applicable fees. The fees are non-refundable.
- If your Accredited Conformity Assessment Body (ACAB) is owned, managed, or controlled by your organization, they must also submit the LADMF ACAB Firewall Status Application Form. In that case, you should also review the sample form at http://classic.ntis.gov/assets/pdf/0692-0015-firewalledstatusapplication.pdf.
- Annually pay the $1,575.00 LADMF Subscriber Certification Form processing fee at https://classic.ntis.gov/Search/Home/titleDetail?abbr=DMFCERT0002and complete and submit a LADMF Subscriber Certification Form at https://dmfcert.ntis.gov. Certification must be renewed each year.
- Pay the $525.00 LADMF ACAB Systems Safeguards Attestation Form processing fee every three years at https://classic.ntis.gov/Search/Home/titleDetail?abbr=DMFCERT0003 and complete one of the following: (1) have an ACAB attest that you have systems, facilities, and procedures in place as required under Sec. 1110.102(a)(2) using the ACAB Systems Safeguards Attestation Form. The ACAB must complete the form, and the ACAB, not you, must submit it at email@example.com. (2) If you are a state or local government department or agency, and are assessed by a State or Local Government Auditor General (AG) or Inspector General (IG) of the same state or local government as you, you may have the AG or IG complete the State or Local AG or IG Systems Safeguards Attestation Form, and the AG or IG, not you, must submit that form at firstname.lastname@example.org. Both forms are available at https://dmfcert.ntis.gov. The attestation must be renewed every three years.
- Those who wish to have a firewalled in-house organization attest for them must also pay the $200.00 processing fee at https://classic.ntis.gov/Search/Home/titleDetail?abbr=DMFCERT0004 and complete and submit the LADMF ACAB Firewall Status Application Form at https://dmfcert.ntis.gov. The form is available at https://dmfcert.ntis.gov. Firewalled status must be renewed every three years.
- Submit the appropriate Subscriber Agreement, or Subscriber Agreement Amendment, or Non-Federal Licensee Agreement or Non-Federal Licensee Agreement Amendment.
- Details about these requirements are available on the LADMF certification website https://dmfcert.ntis.gov where you can fill out and submit all the required forms once you pay the certification fee.